11.10.2011

In bloom

With everyone going crazy with skulls right about now i thought it was appropriate to show you all one of my favourite illustrations around this topic. 'In Bloom' is an illustration created by Matthew Kaven Brooks, i really love a lot of things about it. I love the composition on the page for a start, the very subtle frame in the background, just blending in with the grey dullish tones of the page. I love the visual contrast between the left half of the colourful skull and the monotone environment of the right. I love the little hidden touches of be it, butterflies or puppets and the attention to detail that has been created with the scribbles and hard long sketch lines across the page. Yes, basically when it come to skulls this is my favourite. Because well, truthfully, i'm not the biggest an if it hasn't got a few flowers on...